Saturday, December 6, 2008

In the deep end

The good news is that I am no longer worried about my IT band (although it has not improved). The bad news is that it's because I'm now worried about the swim portion rather than the run portion of the race. Running I can handle, even without the training I would like to be putting in I know how to adjust my pace and my walk breaks. But I went swimming for the first time tonight and it was not pretty. And apparently my pool is only 43 feet long, which means that to practice doing the 1.2 miles I will need to complete in May I need to swim about 148 lengths of the pool, or 74 laps. The sign on the wall of the pool said it was 63 laps per 1/2 mile, and my swimming book said that a lap means up and down, so I was thinking 126 lengths just for a half mile, but now I think I did the math and it's a little better. I'm going to walk the edge of the pool myself next time to see about the 43 feet.

Anyway, regardless of length, I spent most of the time today fighting to breathe through my hair and coughing up water. I kept trying to think about the techniques I had read about -- turning my body, keeping the lower half of my body near the top of the water by pushing my top half down, trying to keep one arm in front of me at all times -- but it felt so unnatural and forced and in the meantime I was sucking down huge gulps of air and then forcing it out under the water.

I guess I have some work to do :)

No comments: